Last week we got an opportunity to catch up with the fleet sales team at MG Motor and see the all new MG4 up close. And we got a quick spin around the streets of North Sydney. For under $40,000, and several battery sizes for extra range, this is a value packed small electric hatchback that would be perfect as a pool car or novated lease.
The entry level MG4 Excite 51 will be priced from just $38,990 (AUD) plus on-road costs*, $44,990 (AUD) plus on-road costs* for 64kWh Excite, $47,990 (AUD) plus on-road costs* for 64kWh Essence, $55,990 (AUD) plus on-road costs* for the 77kWh Essence.
Fleet pricing (that also applies to novated leases) is available from the MG fleet team.
MG Motor Australia and New Zealand CEO Peter Ciao said that he has made the decision to discontinue the ZS EV Excite (the most affordable EV SUV) to make way for the new MG4 51kWh Excite, however the ZS EV Essence and Long Range will remain.
“Australians are doing it tough amid cost of living pressures, I know they are feeling those rising pressures at supermarkets, when they’re buying fuel, when they’re paying their energy bills.
“Like I did when I launched the ZS EV, and as MG has done with our other models, we are creating affordable and accessible cars and the MG4 is helping Aussies get into an electric vehicle sooner than later.”
“There is no doubt that the cost of living is the number one issue right now for Australians and we’re trying our best to help by making EV affordable with the release of MG4 at under $38,990 (AUD) plus on road costs.”
This is MG’s first fully-electric hatchback optimises space, technology, affordability and driving quality. The MG4 EV is the first to use the innovative new Modular Scalable Platform (MSP) that will underpin a new generation of MGs, featuring rear-wheel drive, 50:50 weight distribution and thin battery technology.
Four specifications are now offered for sale – the MG4 51kWh Excite, MG4 64kWh Excite, the MG4 64kWh Essence and the MG4 77kWh Essence (Long Range). In addition, we are strongly considering 64kWh AWD ‘X-Power’ performance version of the MG4.
With battery capacities from 51kWh, 64kWh to 77kWh, the current MG4 EV range is capable of up to 530km on the WLTP cycle for 77kWh Essence Long Range, with 64kWh Excite capable of 450km (WLTP) and 64kWh Essence at 435km (WLTP), 51kWh at 350km (WLTP) respectively.
This remarkably affordable range of battery options gives customers the opportunity to find their most suitable driving specification and price point.
The 64kWh battery is also capable of recharging at up to 140kW, meaning a charge time of only 26 minutes from 10% – 80% using a 150kW DC rapid charger. The MG4 EV is expected to bring zero-emissions motoring within reach for far more Australian customers, representing an affordable, credible alternative to conventional petrol, diesel and hybrid vehicles.
The MG4 EV also carries MG’s trademark 7-year unlimited kilometre warranty as standard, which remains one of the longest fully-transferable warranties in the country.
The MG4 EV has a remarkably affordable range of battery options to offer different customers their most suitable driving specification and price point, with three highly competitive specifications available at launch.
- Initially available with battery capacities from 51kWh, 64kWh to 77kWh
- With battery capacities from 51kWh, 64kWh to 77kWh, the current MG4 EV range is capable of up to 530km on the WLTP cycle for 77kWh Essence Long Range, with 64kWh Excite capable of 450km (WLTP) and 64kWh Essence at 435km (WLTP), 51kWh at 350km (WLTP) respectively.
Modular Scalable Platform
As the first model to use the innovative new MSP, the MG4 EV will pave the way for the next generation of all-electric MGs across a range of body styles.
- Advanced platform offers drivers superb roadholding and engagement.
- Battery design and placement delivers 50:50 weight distribution and a low centre of gravity, alongside rear-wheel drive configuration.
- Designed to maximise battery efficiency and interior/storage space.
- MSP allows scalable range and performance for a wide variety of customer requirements, initially available with battery capacities from 64kWh to 77kWh.
- Allows integration with future technologies, including battery swap systems.
- Capable of supporting all-wheel drive powertrains, with the X-Power MG4 under consideration for Australia.
Manufactured using highly advanced laser welding technology and with a new, modern, striking design language, the MG4 EV boasts sophisticated aerodynamics and distinctive style.
- A brand-new design from MG’s Advanced Design team
- Twin aero rear spoiler
- 17” aerodynamic alloy wheels with aero covers on 51kWh and 64kWh Excite
- 18″ aerodynamic alloy wheels with aero covers on 64kWh Essence and 77kWh Essence
- All-new LED rear light design
- Essence models with black roof and distinctive rear centre light bar constellation design
- Seven exterior colour options: Dover White, Brixton Blue, Black Pearl (Metallic), Camden Grey (Metallic), Dynamic Red (Tri-Coat) and Volcano Orange (Tri-Coat), Sterling Silver (Metallic).
MG Pilot is included as standard on all MG4 EV models, a comprehensive package of safety equipment that features:
- Active Emergency Braking with Pedestrian and Bicycle Detection
- Adaptive Cruise Control with Traffic Jam Assist
- Intelligent Speed Limit Assist with Traffic Sign Recognition
- Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning System
- Driver Attention Alert
- Intelligent High Beam Assist
Essence models are also equipped with Door Open Warning, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Blind Spot Detection and Lane Change Assist.
Interior & technology
The MG4 EV’s simple, elegant interior combines minimalist design with hi-tech integration and functionality.
- A choice of black fabric upholstery (Excite) or synthetic leather interior trim with contrasting cloth inserts (Essence)
- MG iSMART connected car features as standard, with voice capabilities on Essence models
- Integrated, interacting dual screen technology with configurable 7” driver display and 10.25″ floating infotainment screen
- 4-speaker audio system with Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto® as standard, with upgraded 6-speaker 3D system on Essence models
- Rotary Gear Selector
- Essence models gain satellite navigation, 360° parking cameras, height-adjustable loading floor, wireless phone charging, Bluetooth and auto-dimming rear view mirror
MG4 – Pricing and Specifications for all models
|MG4 EV Excite(51kWh)||MG4 EV Excite(64kWh)||MG4 EVEssence(64kWh)||MG4 EV Essence(77kWh)|
|Price starting from |
plus on-road costs*
|$38,990 MSRP ‘Excite’||$44,990 MSRP ‘Excite’||$47,990 MSRP ‘Essence’||$55,990 MSRP|
|0-100 km/h||7.7 seconds||7.9 seconds||7.9 seconds||6.5 seconds|
|Transmission / Drivetrain||1 speed auto / RWD||1 speed auto / RWD||1 speed auto / RWD||1 speed auto / RWD|
|Combined WLTP range (kms)||Range of up to 350km||Range of up to 450km||Range of up to 435km||Range of up to 530km|
|Rapid charging from 10-80% 50kW rapid charger (mins)||40||60||60||TBA|
|Gross vehicle weight||2083||2113||2123||2209|
|Max tow weight||500kg||500kg||500kg||500kg|
|Overall width + mirrors||2060||2060||2060||2060|
|Overall width – mirrors||1836||1836||1836||1836|
|Boot capacity (seats up)||363 litres||363 litres||350 litres||350 litres|
|Boot capacity (folded)||1177 litres||1177 litres||1165 litres||1165 litres|
|Turning circle||10.6 m||10.6 m||10.6 m||10.6 m|