A new EV is coming to Australia in 2022 with Volvo announcing the Australian pricing and specification of the C40 Recharge, its second pure electric model.
Based on Volvo’s Compact Modular Architecture (CMA) vehicle platform, the C40 Recharge has all the benefits of an SUV, but with a lower and sleeker design profile.
Complementing the sportier lower roof line is a striking rear-end design, while the new front design introduces a new face for electric Volvos. The signature Thor’s Hammer head lights are augmented with LED light technology.
In Australia the Volvo C40 Recharge will be available in dual and single motor variants. The 300kW/660Nm dual-motor powertrain with all-wheel-drive propels it from a standstill to 100km/h in an impressive 4.7 seconds.
A 78kWh lithium-ion battery provides an *estimated 420km of WLTP-certified range and can be charged from 10 to 80 per cent capacity in 40 minutes with a 150kW DC fast charger.
The single-motor front wheel drive variant has a smaller battery but produces a *higher WLTP driving range, delivering an estimated 434 kilometres on a charge compared to the dual-motor’s 420 kilometres.
A smaller battery pack also means faster charging. The 69kWh unit can go from 10 to 80 per cent charge in as little as 32 minutes – eight minutes less than the larger 78kWh lithium-ion battery.
Inside, the C40 Recharge provides customers with the high seating position that most Volvo drivers prefer, while it is available with a range of colour and deco options unique to the model. It is also the first Volvo model to be completely leather-free.
Volvo is also employing blockchain technology to trace where its battery partners source cobalt from to ensure the essential material is ethically extracted.
Like the XC40 Recharge, the C40 Recharge comes with one of the best infotainment systems on the market, jointly developed with Google and based on the Android operating system. It provides consumers with Google apps and services built-in, such as Google Maps, Google Assistant, and the Google Play Store*.
Unlimited data enables superior connectivity, and the C40 Recharge will receive software updates over the air. That means it will continue to improve over time after it has left the factory.
“The future of Volvo Cars is electric, and the C40 Recharge is the first model in Volvo’s history designed as pure electric only,” said Volvo Car Australia Managing Director, Stephen Connor.
“It has the personality of the very popular XC40, but it’s more dynamic with a sleeker profile. It’s a very attractive car for people who are looking for the easy- to-live-with aspects of an SUV with more of a modern statement.
“The launch of Volvo C40 Recharge is another step along the way to Volvo’s goal of making all-electric account for half the cars we sell globally by 2025, as part of an overall plan to go completely pure-electric by 2030”.
In Australia the C40 Recharge dual motor variant is priced at $82,490. The single motor variant is priced at $74,990. Both variants come with Volvo’s segment leading 5-year unlimited kilometre warranty, an 8-year roadside assistance package, 8-year battery warranty and 2-year interval servicing.
C40 Recharge will be available for delivery in Q3, 2022.
* Range according to the realistic WLTP driving cycle under controlled conditions for a new car. Real-world range may vary. Figures are based on preliminary target. Final vehicle certification pending.
Key features and Specification for the C40 Recharge:
- Next Generation Infotainment System with four-year data subscription, including digital and Google services
- 9″ Centre Screen Display Smart Telephone Integration Speech function
- Inductive charging for smartphones City Safety
- Collision Warning and Mitigation, Front and Rear Park Assist, Front and Rear with Camera
- Blind Spot Information System with Cross Traffic Alert Adaptive Cruise Control, Pilot Assist and Lane Keeping Aid Parking assistance, front, and rear
- Hill start assist and Hill Descent Control Keyless Entry and Hands-Free tailgate Electronic Folding Exterior Mirrors
- Panoramic Roof, fixed
- Auto Dimming Internal and External Mirrors Thor’s Hammer LED Headlight System Origin interior Décor inlays
- 2 Zone Climate Control System Heated front seats
- Heated rear seats
- Front and rear carpet mats Power Folding Rear Headrests
Additional feature for the C40 Recharge Pure Electric Twin:
- 20″ Recharge 5-Spoke Black Diamond-cut Alloy wheel 360° Camera
- Premium Sound System – Harman Kardon with Subwoofer Microtech & Textile Interior (Topography Décor)